- Pumpkin* – about 500 – 750g, peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion – chopped
- 200g diced bacon (optional – see note for vegans)
- 2 cloves garlic – crushed
- slurp of olive oil
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 bouquet garnis pouch (or a teaspoon of mixed dried herbs like thyme and sage and bay leaf)
- 1 vegetable bouillon and 1.5L of water (or 1.5L of stock)
- 1 packet silken tofu (about 400g)
- salt and white pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, brown onion, bacon and garlic in the olive oil, then add all ingredients except the tofu.
- Simmer slowly until pumpkin is soft, then add tofu and blend
Serve with a dollop of soy yoghurt and a sprinkling of smoked paprika. If you wish to make this a vegan dish, omit the bacon and use 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika and an extra bouillon (stock cube).
I served this with cake bread – recipe coming next!
*Australians call butternut squash by the name of pumpkin, and this is what I used. Any variety of firm orange-fleshed pumpkin or squash would work for this soup.