This world now has so many people, travelers in need of succour. Marble lobbies, swipe keys, feather pillows, tiny bottles of terrible shampoo you are allowed to steal and decadent fluffy bath robes that you are not. We all seem to need these things all the time now, especially in the UAE. No surprise there are now more hotels than plastic surgeons in this country.
And I suppose it’s also no surprise that a hotel chain would have more than one venue in a city. And that I would be all excited about an invitation to stay on luxurious and exotic Saadiyat Island, only to find that my booking was at the St Regis city hotel.
Wind forward 24 hours, and I’m actually quite tickled there was a mistake. Everyone know St Regis Saadiyat is tremendous, but I found a secret – the little sister ain’t too shabby either.
St Regis Abu Dhabi
- Accommodation Style: Five-star high-rise city hotel
- Rooms: 283 rooms ranging from 45 sq meter Superior Room to 360 sq meter suites. 1120 sq meter 3 bedroom ‘Abu Dhabi Suite’ also available
- Price: From 800AED ($210US) for a superior room in low season. From 1050AED in peak.
- Facilities: AC, babysitting, connecting rooms, restaurants and bars, wifi, butler service, free parking, tour desk, transfers
- Activities: Day spa, sauna, fitness and wellness centre, hammam, private beach (with air-conditioned subway and fabulous beach club), pool, library, children’s playground, connecting shopping mall
- Languages: Filipino, Russian, Dutch, Italian, Indonesian, French, Spanish, English, German, Arabic
- Perfect for: business trips, families with young children
- Also not bad for: couples who like to spend all day at a beach club
- Pros: Peaceful, especially for a city hotel, the beach club and its large pool are gorgeous, large rooms, incredible bath tub with panoramic view (suite), super Italian restaurant, gluten free options at breakfast, city location, grand lobby, luxurious separate check-in area.
- Cons: beach view is of a shopping mall, restaurant for buffet breakfast is busy and too small, some reports of smelly bathrooms online
- Location: Nation Tower, Corniche, Abu Dhabi (map)
- Nearest Airport: Abu Dhabi International Airport (30 minutes drive), Dubai 1.5 hour drive
- Bookings: Via website, Phone: +971 2 694 4444.
Disclaimer – Comp stay, but other sites researched for feedback and taken into account.
*A guide to ratings: These take into account the price, quality, service and the facilities, and in effect are a value rating.
- 0-2/10 = exceptionally overpriced. Avoid at all costs, even if it means travelling to stay elsewhere overnight.
- 3-5/10 = overpriced in respect to quality. Don’t stay unless there are no other options.
- 6-7/10 = reasonable value. Check other options in the area just in case, but not a bad choice over-all.
- 8-9/10= worth seeking out. Great value in respect to the offer, one of if not the best option in the area.
- 10/10= super place. Stop what you’re doing, book a plane ticket and go there now.