Still on a low sugar diet for the kiddies. The date cakes were such a success yesterday (all gone in 24 hours), I thought I might do a twist on the carrot cake. So here we go – carrot cookies, or “Carrotees” as they are called now.
- 1/2 cup gluten free flour
- 1/2 cup wholemeal spelt flour
- 100g butter (melted)
- 1 carrot, finely grated (medium to large)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tbsp honey
- pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 170ºC. Beat eggs with vanilla, honey and melted butter, then fold in flour sifted with cinnamon and bi-carb.
- Add grated carrot and mix together lightly with your hands, then form into lumpy bite-sized balls and place on a lined baking tray
- Bake for approx 15 minutes, or until lightly browned (will still be a little soft)
These are not particularly sweet biscuits – unlike dates, there is not enough sweetness in the carrot to carry through cooking. They are however fragrant and mouth-filling. I dusted them with a little cinnamon mixed with icing sugar, and there was physical fighting between siblings over the last one. They are a great texture – like a rock cake or a drop scone.