Well, I guess they’re not really secrets for those in the know, but I’m often asked where to get particular food items in Dubai. I’ll get a little tweet: “hey @the_hedonista – I know it’s the middle of winter, but where can I get zucchini flowers?”, or a food-obsessed mate posting up on our Fooderati Arabia facebook page “Anyone know where I can find gold leaf to ice my cupcakes?” . Well I am the knower of all things (ahem), and so here’s my list of go-to places for your gourmet gobbles. Anything else I you’re looking for, please comment below and I’ll see if I can help out.
Lootah’s is the retail arm of Oakleaf Dubai, which is one of the premium suppliers of fruit and vegetables to restaurants in the region. They import most of their produce direct from the Rungis Market in Paris. They have started importing some select ingredients from the UK recently. You know those fancy veggies you eat at five-star restaurants? They get them here.
Galeries Lafayette Gourmet, level 2, Dubai Mall
What I buy:
finger limes, baby root vegetables, heirloom tomatoes, micro herbs, other exotic fruit and vegetables, smoked salmon, caviar, truffle oil, Brie de Meaux (sometimes)
Contact:+971 4 2231520 ext 224 Info@lootahpremiumfoods.ae www.lootahpremiumfoods.ae
On the theme of things, I’ll be doing a live demonstration of my cherry tomato tart and some salmon tartare at Galeries Lafayette on Saturday at 12 noon – come past and watch me embarass myself, and if I don’t burn everything, then partake in some free food. “Meet the Blogger” demos will be going on each day between 12 noon and 5pm, from September 18 to 21, so you can also catch some other amateurs like me trying to be pro chefs.
Although there is a good selection of pretty french gourmet groceries, Lafayette import from all over. The grocery selection is smaller than it once was, but there’s still plenty of reason to drop in. (previous post here)
Where: Galeries Lafayette, level 2, Dubai Mall
What I buy: cheese, wagyu beef, veal, jamon iberico, saucisson, oysters, chocolate, tea, spices in pretty french jars, condiments and vinegars, amaretti biscuits, crazy pasta, salt in every colour, the incredible balqees yemeni honey.
Contact:+9714 339 9933 ext 2342 or ext 2383 Lafayettegourmet.email@example.com www.galerieslafayette-dubai.com
Charles had a career change, left the office and opened a business selling all the food it was almost impossible to get here in Dubai, at a retail level anyway. It’s not cheap, but some of the produce is absolutely inspiring.
order online for home delivery
What I buy:
duck, french corn fed chicken, burrata, violet potatoes, edible flowers, zucchini flowers, multicoloured carrots, oil and vinegar, shelfish stock, smoked paprika, pear juice, gold leaf
Contact:+971 55 76 33 999 firstname.lastname@example.org chezcharles.ae
Organic Foods and Cafe
Sheikh Zayed Rd Al Quoz, Village Mall Jumeirah 1, The Greens and home delivery
What I buy:
Gluten free bread, pasta and flours, virgin coconut oil, dairy free milks and creams, eggs, organic pork belly and sausages, fresh salmon, frozen chicken
Contact:+971 4 338 2911 email@example.com www.organicfoodsandcafe.com
All over, but Mall of the Emirates is by far the best
What I buy:
gluten free flour and pasta, french yoghurt, butter, cream and cheese, french pre-rolled pastry, salted caramel icecream, frozen dumplings, fish and seafood, sashimi grade tuna, organic Australian beef, sushi made in front of you, arabic sweets, obscure indian and Sri Lankan vegetables, french radishes and giroles, dried mushrooms, spices from the sack, salmontini salmon, salmon caviar, foie gras if I’m feeling depraved.
Contact:800 7 32 32 www.carrefouruae.com
Gold and Diamond Park, Building # 4, Sheik Zayed Road, Dubai, UAE, and home delivery.
What I buy:
the best sausages in Dubai, Australian lamb – especially the frenched cutlets, osso bucco, wagyu beef, rose veal
Contact:+971 4 341 5445 firstname.lastname@example.org www.primegourmet.ae
Market and Platters
Dubai Marina, Pinnacle Tower
What I buy:
Fresh crab, salmon, oysters, caviar, greek yoghurt, zucchini flowers, cress, pre-made salads, fougasse bread,
Contact:+971 4 450 4466 marketandplatters.com
And if you can’t find what you need there, try the following:
- Asian Groceries I love, but Ginger and Scotch has the scoop here on her blog
- Ripe has (in my opinion) a better selection of organic fruit and veg than the Organic Cafe. Biggest benefit is an emphasis on local produce (great tomatoes!) Al Manara Store, markets or home delivery
- Gluten Free Supermarket is a home delivery service – lovely people with a comprehensive range of options for coeliacs.
- Food Avant Garde offers home delivery of some super spanish canned and jarred goods, and spectacular Joselito pork products
- Milk and Honey on the palm – for some reason, open 24 hours, and also does home delivery. Deli, bakery and patisserie best.
- Maybury in Dubai Marina (newly opened) – untested as yet
- 800 Meat in JLT and for home delivery of excellent Australian and Brazilian beef
- Barracuda beach resort in Umm al Quwain holds two beauties (apart from the tax-free booze). Firstly is Rootstock, which you will find inside the Barracuda wine store, which has a range of small-scale producers, particularly European and some quality high level wine you won’t find elsewhere. Finer things is just outside, and has a nice range of gourmet groceries, a spectacular chocolate wall and some lovely stinky cheese.
in some cases, photographs are taken from store’s own website