Once upon a time, there was a girl who wanted to go on a desert safari that wasn’t like all the others in Dubai….
Platinum Heritage Tours
- Accommodation Style: Camping in fixed tents
- Rooms: 3 divided “rooms” within a large communal tent. Sleeps up to 4 per “room”
- Price: From 395AED ($115US) for safari and meal, from 795AED for overnight including dinner and breakfast (with a Bedouin)
- Facilities Vehicles: 1950s Land Rovers, in good functioning order. No AC. Camp: shared toilets and showers with running water, electricity. For some Corporate Groups it is possible to go to the Terrace of Al Maha after dinner if they want to finish the night with a drink (paid directly to Al Maha based on consumption)
- Nature and activities: Protected park on private reserve. Falconry display. Oryx and Gazelle guaranteed. Other smaller animals sometimes seen. At the camp, shisha, campfire, camel rides, dancer or other cultural entertainment, traditional food. Horse riding. Balloon rides.
- Languages: English, Arabic, Russian, German, Italian, French, Spanish and Portuguese
- Perfect for: Family outing to the desert, groups (not the rowdy type)
- Also not bad for: Romantic breaks (sort of – it’s perfect for cuddling. But remember the PDA rules in Gulf states, and no rumpy pumpy in communal tents), and for nature lovers who can’t afford Al Maha
- Pros: Seamless running. Just book and all is taken care of – they even pick you up from hotel or home. Much classier than standard “dune bashing” safaris. Excellent falconry exhibition. More traditional Khaleeji influence (rather than levant/persian) which is very appropriate. Great piece of desert with varied textures and colours. Breakfast with a Bedouin was a unique chance to chat with a local one-on-one. Fab ljeimats (dumplings). No scorpions, spiders or snakes (I think…)
- Cons: A little expensive given the sleeping arrangement. Food good but not amazing. Khaleeji hair dancer was authentic, but the cozy atmosphere would have welcomed storytelling instead. Someone in the next “room” had their blackberry alarm set to 5:45am. Fortunately I saw the sunrise. Unfortunately they did not wake up and turn it off for 15 minutes so I got a grumpy husband.
- Nearest Airport: Dubai (less than 1hr drive)
- Bookings: Via website, Phone: 971 (4) 388 4044 or Email: email@example.com. Can also be booked through providers Also a current offer for Mastercard holders
*A guide to ratings: These take into account the price, quality, service and the facilities, and in effect are a value rating.
- 0-2/10 = exceptionally overpriced. Avoid at all costs, even if it means travelling to stay elsewhere overnight.
- 3-5/10 = overpriced in respect to quality. Don’t stay unless there are no other options.
- 6-7/10 = reasonable value. Check other options in the area just in case, but not a bad choice over-all.
- 8-9/10= worth seeking out. Great value in respect to the offer, one of if not the best option in the area.
- 10/10= super place. Stop what you’re doing, book a plane ticket and go there now.
This is the first in an experimental series of posts to see if photo content is as worthwhile as text. I’d love to hear your opinions!