Our family is making a drastic change to our diet. We are eliminating wheat, dairy, and all heavily processed items and synthetic products – including sugar. So, time to embrace other grains, and I’m starting with the king – quinoa. This is super-duper health food, and has too many benefits to list here. Check out this link if you don’t believe me. I’ve cooked quinoa before, but only plain, and I didn’t think I’d have a chance of converting the kids that way. Hence the spiced version…
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp brown mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander (cilantro)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 cup quinoa (washed)
- 2 cups chicken stock (or salted water)
- fresh coriander to garnish
- pan fry the onions, garlic and mustard seeds in a little olive oil until golden and mustard seeds have commenced popping.
- add dried spices and quinoa, and fry for a minute or two, stirring so it doesn’t stick. Add stock, and simmer gently, covered, and stirring occasionally for about 15 minutes, or until grains are al dente.
- Turn off, and leave covered for 5 minutes. Water should all be absorbed, so simply fork through and garnish.